Sunday 3 April 2011

Cemetaries, Syd and Storm.

Yesterday I went to visit Highgate cemetery for my art project. I've never been there before and it was really interesting visiting it, expecially the West side where the Egyptian Avenue, Circle of Lebanon and catacombs are. I just liked the whole run-down, abandoned feel. (In fact I do just like abandoned places in general, I love looking at pictures urban explorers have taken. This is a good site for pictures. I've never done any urban exploration myself, but I would like to one day.)



Some of the graves had really nice headstones or sculptures with a story behind them. George Wombwell, the man buried in the tomb in the photograph below, was a Victorian menagerie exhibitor. One of his most famous animals was Nero the lion, who was so tame that children could ride on his back. A statue of him was placed on top of the tomb and the fact that he is sleeping represents his calm, gentle nature.



In the East cemetery I visited Karl Marx's grave (it's impossible to miss) as well as Douglas Adams' (which I did miss the first time round - it's rather small).

After visiting Highgate cemetery I went and visited the Syd Barrett 'Art and Letters' Exhibiton at the Idea Generation Gallery (nothing to do with my art project). It was interesting to see a side of Syd that not many people know about. I didn't actually realise he painted until I read about this exhibition on the Planet Rock website, where I first learnt about it. I have to admit that I didn't like a lot of the art, but I did really like these two (Untitled 6 and Untitled 7):





They also had some of Storm Thorgerson's photography featured in the gallery and I actually cannot express in words how much I love his work. When Borders was around I used to just go in there, get the big book on Thorgerson's album covers down from the top shelf and sit down and just marvel over his work.

This is a photograph that I had not seen before. Thorgerson has the most wonderful ideas for album covers (this is the cover of "An Introduction to Syd Barrett":



One day I will do a post on Storm's work, but it will be very hard choosing what goes in the post.

All in all it was a fantastic day, even if I didn't get any work done (apart from taking photographs to draw in my art book).

No comments:

Post a Comment